The Long House
Until the mid-20th century, the main building of the Hiiumaa Museum was a dwelling for directors of the Hiiu-Kärdla textile factory (the factory was destroyed in a fire during WW II). Among locals, the house was known as the Long House (Pikk Maja). Built in the 1830-40s, the over 60-meter building is the longest wooden house in Kärdla to this day. During the Soviet years, the building housed various municipal offices, such as the local department of education and a library, and served as a civil building facilitating festive marriage ceremonies.
Today, the museum consists of offices, collection storage, library, and exhibition rooms. The permanent exhibit shows the everyday life of workers and executives of the textile factory, and a model of the manufacturing buildings. Also on display is the living room of the factory’s first director, complete with life-size statues of Baron von Ungern-Sternberg (1813-1898) and his wife.
Museum is closed in national holidays.
1.05 – 30.09
|1.10 – 30.04|
|Adults||4 €||3 €|
|Students/ seniors||2.50 €||2 €|
|Family ticket (2 adults and children until 17 years old)||8 €||5 €|
|Children up to 8 years||Free||Free|
|Group tickets (from 10 people)|
|Adults||3 €||2 €|
|Students/ seniors||2 €||1.50 €|
Guided tours are available.
Additional info: the facilities can be rented for receptions, conferences, seminars, workshops, lectures, concerts, and other special occasions.
The museum has a gift shop offering a wide variety of handicrafts and souvenirs from Hiiumaa.